8 reasons your student marketing strategy needs to include Australia
Following the announcement that we’ll be opening our first Australian office in Melbourne this September, we’re shining a spotlight on the land down under. Here’s what you need to know about the Aussie student market and why it’s an essential part of any global youth marketing strategy.
1. Australia boasts one of the world’s largest student populations, with over 1.3 million adults currently studying at universities there. As a group, they spend over $20 billion per year.
2. Thanks to its great standard of education, sunny weather and cosmopolitan cities, Australia is a popular study abroad destination. There are 329,000 international students, representing 25% of people at university in the country overall. These students have a desire to make the most of their time at uni, spending more on activities like shopping, dining and entertainment.
3. The average weekly income for an Australian student is $500, and this is often 100% disposable.
4. 66% of first-year students and 73% of later-year students have paid jobs off campus, higher than in the UK. Our recent Student Shopping Report revealed that students with jobs are savvy consumers, using student discounts almost twice as often as those without. This makes offering a student discount a great way to reach the students with the highest income.
5. Australia is a fast-growing market for retail and ecommerce, with a strong demand for high value imported products from Asia, North America and Europe. It is among the top 10 advertising markets worldwide.
6. For the size of its population, Australia has a significant influence over global business, finance, culture and politics. Thanks to the education and connections they gain at university, today’s students are set to become tomorrow’s leaders, and within the next decade they’ll become the most valuable consumer demographic.
7. Australia is one of the world’s most connected nations, with a high rate of digital technology usage. 98% of residents have internet access, across both rural and urban areas, while 95% of those aged between 12 and 24 own a smartphone.
8. Australia is a fantastic place to live as a student. It has five of the 30 best cities in the world for students based on student mix, affordability, quality of life, and employer activity. Plus, it's consistently rated as one of the happiest countries in the world. Every brand wants happy customers, right?
We can verify 100% of Australian students, and we're already working with some of their favourite brands on successful loyalty programs. To find out more about partnering with Student Beans to reach students in Australia, get in touch with our team today.